Guryev V.V., Zverev D.A., Kucherenko V.S., Karelkina Е.V., Urumova E.L., Pishchugin A.S., Strelkov D.A., Moiseeva O.M.
National Almazov Medical Research Centre, St. Petersburg.
The study consisted of 53 patients aged from 60 to 84 years. Transcatheter correction was performed in all patients. The functional class (according to the NYHA classification) of heart failure, echocardiographic measurements of right heart chambers, left atrium, left ventricular function, and systolic pressure in the pulmonary artery showed a significant reduction in size and improvement in heart function. Intraoperative complications were not observed. In patients of any age, ASD closure is accompanied by an improvement in clinical symptoms, as well as a decrease in pressure in the pulmonary artery and the size of heart chambers. Given the continuous increase in the severity of symptoms, pressure in the pulmonary artery and remodeling of the heart chambers, ASD closure is indicated to patients when making a diagnosis, regardless of the presence or absence of symptoms, even in elderly patients.
Keywords: secondary atrial septal defect, transcatheter correction, elderly patients.
1. Lindsey J.B., Hillis L.D. Clinical update: atrial septal defect in adults //The Lancet. — 2007. — Т. 369. — №. 9569. — С.
2. Karamlou T., Diggs B.S., Ungerleider R.M., McCrindle B.W., Welke K.F. The rush to atrial septal defect closure: is the introduction of percutaneous closure driving utilization? //The Annals of thoracic surgery. — 2008. — Т. 86. — №. 5. — С.
3. Murphy J.G., Gersh B.J., McGoon M.D., Mair D.D., Porter C.B.J., Ilstrup D.Ml. Long-term outcome after surgical repair of isolated atrial septal defect: follow-up at 27 to 32 years //New England Journal of Medicine. — 1990. — Т. 323. — №. 24. — С.
4. St John Sutton M.G., Tajik A.J., McGoon D.C. Atrial septal defect in patients 60 years and older: operative results and longterm postoperative followup //Circulation. — 1981. — Т. 84. — С.
5. Nasrallah A.T., Hall R.J., Garcia E.F.R.A.I.N., Leachman R.D., Cooley D.A. Surgical repair of atrial septal defect in patients over 60 years of age. Long-term results //Circulation. — 1976. — Т. 53. — №. 2. — С.
6. Attie F., Rosas M., Granados N., Zabal C., Buendía A., Calderón J. Surgical treatment for secundum atrial septal defects in patients> 40 years old: a randomized clinical trial //Journal of the American College of Cardiology. — 2001. — Т. 38. — №. 7. — С.
7. Butera G., Romagnoli E., Carminat, M., Chessa M., Piazza L., Negura D., Frigiola A. Treatment of isolated secundum atrial septal defects: impact of age and defect morphology in 1,013 consecutive patients //American heart journal. — 2008. — Т. 156. — №. 4. — С.
8. Majunke N., Bialkowski J., Wilson N., Szkutnik M., Kusa J., Baranowski A., Sievert H. Closure of atrial septal defect with the Amplatzer septal occluder in adults //The American journal of cardiology. — 2009. — Т. 103. — №. 4. — С.
9. Rosas M., Zabal C., Garcia‐Montes J., Buendia A., Webb G., Attie, F. Transcatheter versus surgical closure of secundum atrial septal defect in adults: impact of age at intervention. A concurrent matched comparative study //Congenital heart disease. — 2007. — Т. 2. — №. 3. — С.
10. Lang R.M., Badano L.P., Mor-Avi V., Afilalo J., Armstrong A., Ernande L., Flachskampf F.A., Foster E., Goldstein S.A., Kuznetsova T., Lancellotti P., Muraru D., Picard M.H., Rietzschel E.R., Rudski L., Spencer K.T., Tsang W., Voigt Jens-Uwe. Recommendations for cardiac chamber quantification by echocardiography in adults: an update from the American Society of Echocardiography and the European Association of Cardiovascular Imaging //European Heart Journal-Cardiovascular Imaging. — 2015. — Т. 16. — №. 3. — С.
11. Dittmann H., Jacksch R., Voelker W., Karsch K.R., Seipel L. Accuracy of Doppler echocardiography in quantification of left to right shunts in adult patients with atrial septal defect //Journal of the American College of Cardiology. — 1988. — Т. 11. — №. 2. — С.
12. Galiè N., Hoeper M.M., Humbert M., Torbicki A., Vachiery J.L., Barbera J.A., Gomez-Sanchez M.A. Guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of pulmonary hypertension: the Task Force for the Diagnosis and Treatment of Pulmonary Hypertension of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC) and the European Respiratory Society (ERS), endorsed by the International Society of Heart and Lung Transplantation (ISHLT) //European heart journal. — 2009. — Т. 30. — №. 20. — С.
13. Du Z.D., Hijazi Z.M., Kleinman C.S., Silverman N.H., Larntz K. Comparison between transcatheter and surgical closure of secundum atrial septal defect in children and adults: results of a multicenter nonrandomized trial //Journal of the American College of Cardiology. — 2002. — Т. 39. — №. 11. — С.
14. Yong G., Khairy P., De Guise P., Dore A., Marcotte F., Mercier L.A., Noble S., Ibrahim R. Pulmonary arterial hypertension in patients with transcatheter closure of secundum atrial septal defects: a longitudinal study //Circulation: Cardiovascular Interventions. — 2009. — С. CIRCINTERVENTIONS. 108.826560.
15. Teo K.S.L., Dundon B.K., Molaee P., Williams K.F., Carbone A., Brown M.A., Disney P.J., Sanders P., Worthley S.G. Percutaneous closure of atrial septal defects leads to normalisation of atrial and ventricular volumes //Journal of Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance. — 2008. — Т. 10. — №. 1. — С. 55. DOI: 10.1186/1532-429X-10-55